We’ve tried the following phrases/statements:
And on and on we could go.
- The intolerance of tolerance.
- There is a lack of diversity in the push for diversity.
- Those complaining the loudest about discrimination, are often the most discriminatory.
- Liberals are not really liberals, but simply want one view.
- Those pushing for all views to be treated fairly, are not treating all views fairly.
- The supposed quest for equality, is really a quest to privilege a certain viewpoint.
The basic point is this. In the modern liberal push for diversity there is one enormous category missing: intellectual/religious/ideological diversity.
All the while our liberal culture pats itself on the back for being so diverse–whether that diversity be racial, ethnic, or cultural diversity—it continues to ignore the biggest area of potential diversity. Diversity of thinking. ....
This point has been eloquently made by Nicholas Kristoff in a recent New York Times Op-Ed piece aptly entitled, “A Confession of Liberal Intolerance.” He writes:
WE progressives believe in diversity, and we want women, blacks, Latinos, gays and Muslims at the table — er, so long as they aren’t conservatives.
Universities are the bedrock of progressive values, but the one kind of diversity that universities disregard is ideological and religious. We’re fine with people who don’t look like us, as long as they think like us.